Monday, May 14, 2012

Summer

I am a useless bum.  How did I come to this conclusion? The minute summer hits, I literally do nothing. I didn't get dressed today until three in the afternoon. I lounged on my bed, perused Facebook, and watched One Direction interviews on YouTube.  [Tangent:  if you haven't listened to One Direction, please go do so now. I love their music, and I love them because they're British and a boy band - can they get any better?? No. End tangent.]  Anyway, as you can tell, I'm lazy.  I have all of these brilliant plans to read hundreds of books, write a novel, watch a ton of movies, run marathons, save the world, etc. during the summer, but I cannot follow through. That is why I'm really glad I'm traveling this year - I'll feel like I'm actually doing something useful and educational.  And awesome...

Update on the moths: they followed me to Los Alamos. We have a colony living in our hallway, and they are sabotaging my house.  They (in the course of battle) broke a picture frame on our wall.  My dad dove on the floor yesterday in order to kill one.  Mom and I battle-royaled with three in the kitchen last night. I fought one in the stairwell this morning. Absurd. Dear moths, y'all and your moth dust need to GET OUT. Sincerely, moi.

Realization from the four days I've been home:  my mom and dad are super cool.  Like they are so funny. And they are great people. My dad took me on a date to see the Avengers, and he talks really loud in the theaters, but that's okay with me now. I don't get embarrassed by them anymore because, honestly, as I get older, their quirks are more endearing than annoying.  I appreciate them more and more every time I'm with them because I realize they're my God-given Yodas: so wise and so thoughtful.  Just take a minute and think about all your parents do for you, sacrifice for you, and about how much they love you. It's amazing, and I thank God for my mom and pops every day.  *end of sappiness* Haha.

Nicole found this quote the other day, and I want to travel this way this summer:  "Put down that map and get wonderfully lost." Isn't it so true that some of the most amazing moments in life are unplanned and unmarked?  Take some time this summer, no matter if you're in Timbuktu or your hometown, and leave the map at home so you can stray from the beaten path into a world of adventure and spontaneity.

I'm reminded of Bilbo Baggin's words:  "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door.  You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept of to."  But Bilbo, what if I don't want to keep my feet? What if I want to be swept away on a glorious adventure?

I think I'm ready for this "dangerous business", Summer 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment