Sunday, November 4, 2012

'Tis the Season to be Thankful: Mama

As I'm sitting here at my table eating a delicious burrito made from the taco meat my mom brought down several weeks ago (no one panic - it's been frozen all this time), I thought, "Hey, I'm really thankful for this premade food," which led to, "Hey, I'm really thankful for the mom who premade this food." These are just several of the many things I love about my mommy :)

1) She knows me best. This stems from the fact that I'm incredibly similar to my mom. Not only do most people think we look a lot alike, we are also extremely like-minded. We react to situations in much the same manner, so my mom knows when I'm going to be upset/stressed/excited, etc.  She knows exactly how long to let me rant before cutting me off and saying, "Enough is enough." Which leads to #2...

2) She is wise. Just this past week, I was complaining to my mom about an annoying feminist girl in one of my classes. Per usual, my mom listened to me for several minutes before dropping a truth bomb on me. She simply told me this: "Sarah, not everyone grew up like you, surrounded by men who value the opinions and actions of women. Not everyone grew up with a father who loves and respects his wife." In essence, I have no idea what storms this girl has walked through. My mom reminded me to look through this girl's eyes before I claim knowledge of her heart. Which leads to #3...

3) She is kind. She cares about other people's feelings and needs, she listens, she encourages (I have a stack of cards my mom has given me over the years, usually with a verse or two, encouraging me to keep running my race), she teaches, she tells it how it is. She doesn't put nuts in brownies because I don't like them even though she does. She doesn't make meatballs when my dad is around because he doesn't like them.  I have not seen heads or tails of a mushroom in our house my entire life because none of the rest of us like them even though my mom LOVES mushrooms. In high school, my mom would stay up late with me some nights when I had lots of homework, simply to keep me company. She loves me even when I am unlovely.

4) She buys me salt water taffy. And if you know me, that's the surest way into my heart :)

God has truly blessed me with a Proverbs 31 mother:
"She is clothed with strength and dignity...She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her...a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."

Yes, I am bragging about my mom because she deserves it. Mom, I am thankful for you always! I love you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment